Random Drivel from your Average Tosser

...with your host, Binty McShae - whether you like it or not!

Monday, November 21, 2005

Continental identity crisis

Some news organisations have been asking questions recently about whether Europe will ever manage to give up all it's national identities and create one European identity, inclusive not just of all native Europeans but also of immigrants to Europe. This is, undoubtedly, in response to the riots in France recently which have been proven to NOT be about religion (so people can stop using the word 'Jihad' every other sentence) but about social issues and the hardships endured by ethnic minorities. But the question I ask is should nations give up their identities at all?

I for one have no intention of giving up my national identity. It has played a part in defining me, but is not the be-all-and-end-all of me. Yes, I am a European. Put me in a non-European country and that will show in my different takes on situations. But I am also a Briton. Put me anywhere else in Europe and the same applies. In fact, within Britain I am also from one of the four smaller kingdoms, another differing factor. And when it boils down to it the county and town I am from can show me to be different. But it's these differences that play a part in making us all unique, and I for one celebrate them.

This does NOT make me racist or xenophobic. I love visiting other countries and experiencing other cultures, but if we are forced to lose our national identities then will we have a Europe where we are all the same? Will we lose those things that make us interesting to each other? And if citizens of this new Europe are to have only a European identity will we be forcing those immigrants who have made Europe their home to ditch their own history and culture too, thereby losing the richness their diversity can bring?

Here is the keen difference between patriotism and xenophobia - a true patriot will love his / her country, but not unconditionally. They will recognise the faults of their society and strive to rectify them. They should also embrace those from other cultures who wish to live in their land - I mean, what a compliment that is! Xenophobes, on the other hand, often blindly see their own country and way of life as 'the best in the world' and shoot down anyone who dares to question it If there is a fault in the xenophobe's country you can bet it's the fault of those 'damned immigrants'. And the last thing they would want is a 'johnny-foreigner' living next door. Where it gets confusing is that the word 'Patriot' is often claimed and proclaimed the loudest by the xenophobes.........

I am a patriot. There is much to love about the land I am from. But there is also much to despise, and I do that as a patriot too. I know my country is not 'the best in the world', but I would like it to try to be the best it can.

And finally, we should all remember that much of the progress made by human kind since year dot was inspired by the meetings of cultures, the ideas that were spawned by the coming together of people from different backgrounds and with different takes on things. Being unique is the one thing we all have going for us!

Cheers m'dears!


Wow - managed a whole post without swearing once! Fucking amazing!

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Monday, November 21, 2005 10:33:00 pm, Blogger Brewski said...

Charming I'm sure. Binty you are correct! Also, I'm very suspicious of these 'One Europe' shenanigans. The Bilderbergs are involved, and the basic premise is more control for the priviliged few. Let diversity reign, with the eccentric European govts. chatting once in a while and being reasonable and considerate. Any noble reason for pushing the E. Constitution is a result of stupidity or avarice. The myth-makers are hard at it.

 
At Tuesday, November 22, 2005 7:01:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Hey, don't get me wrong guys - I'm all for fewer barriers in Europe and more ties, if for nothing else than the common good (richer nations helping the poor for one... surely some sort of moral obligation), but I fail to see how eradicating our respective heritages and traditions helps anyone.

Proud, glad to have you here. No, seriously. I'd hate to think my hard work spouting all this lot was wasted by only being read by people who agree with me. But do me a favour - rather than insulting me why not actually do some research into whatever views you hold on the subject and actually argue the case with me. I'd appreciate it much more.

 
At Friday, May 12, 2006 11:59:00 pm, Blogger SheBah said...

Vive le difference!

 
At Saturday, May 13, 2006 7:24:00 am, Blogger Foot Eater said...

Damn, I wish 'us and proud' had said that to me. I need some new insults for the list on my site.

Then again, no-one's likely to accuse me of being a commie.

 
At Saturday, May 13, 2006 7:44:00 am, Blogger SafeTinspector said...

this is so very retro!
Nice, for me, as I'd not been around Binty's Back Then.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home