Random Drivel from your Average Tosser

...with your host, Binty McShae - whether you like it or not!

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

To cut a long Tory short...

Elected in June 2001 as the Conservative MP for Witney, does David Cameron have enough political experience to be the Prime Minister of the UK? Because that is, in effect, the job he is aiming for by taking over as leader of his party. Granted, the next election is a few years away, but what has he got that imbues such confidence from his peers?

He is young for a party leader (39), giving him the air of vitality that Blair used to have, and he apparently also has a level of charm and reasonable good looks to match his opposite. But is that all that the Tories are hanging their hopes on? Quite possibly. In this age of spin and presentation are we ever likely to get the right people for the job? Or are we content to be led by poster boys?

Getting off the political fence for a moment I should state that despite my thoughts on Blair and 'New' Labour I could never ever vote Conservative. Growing up with very little under Thatcher instilled that into me. Even though my status has since changed and I would technically have been better off financially if the last election had swung the other way I could never vote blue.

I'm not claiming affiliation to any specific party and my allegiances have changed at different times. Saying that, I won't reveal who I have voted for in the past, or who I will vote for in the future - it just won't be for Mr Cameron's party, whether he is in charge or not. Because regardless of the packaging a tory is still a tory is still a tory....

You just have to look at Blair to see that.

Cheers m'dears!

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, December 07, 2005 7:23:00 pm, Blogger Dr Maroon said...

I think you are a closet Scotch-Nat. Am I right? Thought so.
If, as you suggest, you are well funded, you might like to consider joining the Liberal Club like me. You don’t have to be political and you will find us as content a bunch of Trotskyists as only the prosperous can be.

 
At Thursday, December 08, 2005 2:21:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Scotch Nats are just Tories with a seperatist agenda. Aside from independence a look at their other policies show them up to be almost as capitalist and right-wing as the Conservatives.

As far as the liberals are concerned there is one continuous problem... not enough people will ever vote for them because they don't see them as a viable option (even though if all the people who thought that did vote for them they could become a viable option).

Incidentally, I am not really 'well-funded'... just in a better position than my family were when I was growing up.

 
At Saturday, December 10, 2005 8:54:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too - could never bring myself to vote for the 'bastards in blue'. I used to be a member of Labour, but left after Tory Blair's policies became clear - hijacking the party and recasting it in his own image. At the last election I made protest votes - Greens and BNP...

 
At Monday, December 12, 2005 1:17:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Regardless of any protest a vote for the BNP just lends them legitimacy. Greens, sure. Monster Raving Loony, absolutely. But I urge people not to allow the Bigotted Nazi Party any toehold, no matter how vague.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home