Random Drivel from your Average Tosser

...with your host, Binty McShae - whether you like it or not!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Tempus fugit an' all that!

I wanted to post today about Prime Minister Thaksin in Thailand and how protests against alleged dodgy dealings have forced him to dissolve parliament and call an election. Which his opponents are boycotting, probably because they know that despite his unpopularity he is still likely to win again!

I also wanted to post about President Arroyo in the Phillipines who has had to deal with an attempted coup this week, albeit a minor and easily diffused one. You see, she declared a state of National Emergency, which most of her populace felt was extreme for what was, in effect, a relatively low-key affair with no real basis! And her response to students who were going to strike a couple of days later in protest at her actions? She closed all education establishments... you can't strike from what isn't even open, can you!

And then I wanted to post about the upcoming Singapore General Election, or rather on PM Lee Hsien Loong's recent pre-election budget which has basically amounted to the current (and apparently eternal) government giving everyone in Singapore a share of a $2.6 billion windfall. Hmmm...

I wanted to... but I can't because I'm too fucking busy. You can probably all guess what I was going to rant about each of them anyway. So instead let me leave you with this 'tasteful' article. It's a week old but I only just came across it...

Cheers m'dears!

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At Thursday, March 02, 2006 12:00:00 am, Blogger Foot Eater said...

Sicko though that bloke is, I am a bit surprised that there's a law against drinking other people's piss.

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 12:07:00 am, Blogger SheBah said...

Binty, All politicians are dodgy dealers, it's the nature of the beast, and political corruption is endemic all over the world. The Easterns are just a bit more upfront about it, and Thaksin is probably amongst the least grabby.
The Western ones are the worst because they pretend to be highly moral whilst grabbing every freebie in sight.(Look at the Blairs!) In the East they add their percentage and it's just considered business. And on a very trivial level it can be funny - in both Hong Kong and Saigon I was openly asked for tips after already putting 15% on the bill. "No, Madam, that is not tip, that is service charge!!!" So you just dig in your wallet and pass over a few more Dongs or dollars and get rewarded with lots of smiles and bows!

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 1:57:00 am, Blogger El Barbudo said...

I saw that article at Samantha Burns and I still can't believe that no one else thought it was just taking the piss.

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 4:04:00 am, Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

I agree with sexy beauty but then I'd agree with any woman called sexy beauty. I voted for you Binty. Should I vote for you several more times? You were behind by only 3.

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 6:36:00 am, Blogger sarah said...

gross.

b.t.w. i modified my site.. since you're the only one that complains about the pop-ups, please go and check it to see if the pop-ups are gone.

oh and i wrote a review of your site. on that scottish blog site.

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 11:31:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

footsie - you're suprise, I'm relieved!

Sexy - it's a no tipping culture in South East Asia, but most westerners do it cos they feel guilty.

El B - fucking groan!

Mac - vote as often as you can. You'll need a different computer each time, mind!

Sarah - wow, the site is annoying pop-up free! Ta! Unfortunately your review is not yet evident... maybe if I wait for a day or two...

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 11:40:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Sarah, I lie - its there! How sweet!

And thanks Doc M too, and the other mystery caller who said nice things but left no hint. I briefly hit an all-time high at number 35 yesterday... back to number 48 now, but hey! It was a good run!

word verification = lcvlnlkf = my computer taking the piss cos it knows I've had a few... the cunt!

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 11:47:00 pm, Blogger SheBah said...

Binty, the only place I have been in the East that is genuinely no tipping is Japan. Both restaurants I went to in HKG and Saigon didn't just expect it, but openly asked for it, even though I had added it onto to the bills via credit card. Also a Vietnamese taxi driver from the airport didn't think the equivalent of a dollar on a four and a half dollar fare was sufficient. And a bellhop in Hong Kong was so keen that when he discovered I didn't yet have any local money he said he would accept coins in any currency! Can you even change foreign coins? I prefer that kind of cheek to the guys who keep adjusting your air conditioning and your shower curtain etc until you pay up!

 
At Friday, March 03, 2006 7:44:00 am, Blogger Binty McShae said...

My first Asian experience was visiting India. When I got to the hotel I had no idea of the exchange rate or what kind of tipping was acceptable, so I just made a guess. Turns out it was equivalent to about 3 or 4 UK pounds, about 10 times what these guys usually got tipped. After that I had people knocking on my door roughly every hour and a half asking if I needed anything!

Been to HK as well. Didn't leave an additional tip and no-one said a word. It may be a good job that I never went back there though....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home