Random Drivel from your Average Tosser

...with your host, Binty McShae - whether you like it or not!

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I meant to write this yesterday, but...

A study into procrastination and it's causes recently concluded that the increasing influence of technology on our lives - chiefly the mobile 'phone and the internet - has led to us becoming more and more distracted, thereby causing us to put more of our tasks to one side and miss deadlines more frequently. In addition to this the ease in which we can be reached through this new technology is increasing our stress levels, causing us to work less productively and need more 'downtime', something we often seek to achieve through personal surfing and game-playing on the internet... and usually at a time when we are meant to be doing something else.

I can vouch for all this, as I sit at work with a mountain of lesson-planning to be done, merrily relating all this to you on my blog. But what amused me most about this study is that it was planned as a 5-year project... yet took 10 years to complete. Oh, the irony.

Cheers m'dears!

Labels:

10 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 17, 2007 8:22:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Did I not vow that I would catch you making a stupid grammatical error on your blog and laugh and laugh and laugh?

"It's causes?" Shame on you, McShae.

- Leg Erection

 
At Thursday, January 18, 2007 8:30:00 am, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Leg Erection - oops. We're all human... well, other than Gorrilla Bananas and Monstee, of course. Although GB has immaculate grammar and Monstee... well, that's a whole other ball game!

Purring - it is indeed. I have been passed so many I could open up my own buck store.

 
At Friday, January 19, 2007 12:28:00 am, Blogger Kim Ayres said...

And I've been meaning to comment for days, but I keep... hang on, IM is flashing at me.

 
At Friday, January 19, 2007 7:33:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehehe.. I.B.O.A. cannot help you with this. it merely enables. that's what a "support" group is all about though.

 
At Friday, January 19, 2007 7:35:00 am, Blogger Dr Maroon said...

I'm glad you're back in harness.
Good for the soul.
The thing that put you in hospital, was it parasitic?
I'm not asking out of interest,I'm just dead nosey.

 
At Friday, January 19, 2007 5:58:00 pm, Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Binty - your strip is now up on Blunt Cogs

 
At Saturday, January 20, 2007 5:47:00 am, Blogger kara said...

As I understand it...procastination is the act of believing that good things come to those who wait. There are those of us who have fine tuned the practice into an artform. For this, we are proud. And are apparantly under the impression that we deserve to use the royal "we".

 
At Monday, January 22, 2007 9:10:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the sweet irony. Can we get a link to the study?

 
At Tuesday, January 23, 2007 10:00:00 am, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Unfortunately you can only read the study online if you are a paid-up subscriber to the American Psychological Association's Psychological Bulletin... but for a news article try here:

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/news/221272,2_1_AU21_LATER_S1.article

 
At Thursday, January 25, 2007 7:19:00 pm, Blogger SafeTinspector said...

I can't be bothered to worry about procrastination right now.


...ok, that was bad. Sorry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home