Random Drivel from your Average Tosser

...with your host, Binty McShae - whether you like it or not!

Monday, January 09, 2006

Byte me!

Sweet Jesus, computers are fucking wank!

As you may or may not have noticed I have had a few troubles with my blog this weekend. First off Friday's blog came out half-baked without my noticing until Saturday, by which time it had already received comments. It has now been restored, so please feel free to wend your way back there and read the finished article. And then, to cap it all, Saturday's blog has simply fucking disappeared without a trace. Did I even write one, I ask myself. Well, did I? I just don't bloody know any more.... did anyone else see it?

So why do we bother? The idea that computers are going to create a paperless society is utterly refuted by the fact that we now print a dozen hard copies of whatever we have created, just in case the PC dies (and you just know that when it does die it will be the only time you didn't make a hard copy). In fact, the amount of times that my computer and printer conspire to fuck up the document that I am trying to print means that I am probably creating more waste paper than most whole offices did before the electronic age.

More to the point I ask myself why the hell do I bother. Why endure the frustration just for the small joy of ranting on a blog like this, a past-time I could equally recreate in the comfort of my local boozer with a decent pint in hand. Except they can't bar me from my blog when I've "said enough" (can they?) and at least here I only have to put up with twatty retorts after the fact instead of having my entire flow punctuated by them.

Anyhow, now that my blood-letting has taken effect I am going to save this as a word document, e-mail it to myself (both personal and work addresses) and save it as a draft on this site under a backup name. Just to be sure. If you are reading this humanity has prevailed over the machines (eat shit, you Terminator-Matrix thingummies!). If not.... well, any further detail is pointless.

Cheers m'dears!

1 Comments:

At Monday, January 09, 2006 6:27:00 pm, Blogger Dr Maroon said...

You’ve hit the nail on the head about two things. The web log and the commuter.
1. The pub isn’t always open, and when it is, your cronies are sometimes away at Ikea buying crappy lampshades. (oestrogen in public water supply).

2. The paperless office. Quite big firms can operate better with just two old dears and the Three File System. One looking after the purchase order side and the other credit control. Bring in the business machines and everyone has to get one, then watch the paper fly!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home