Random Drivel from your Average Tosser

...with your host, Binty McShae - whether you like it or not!

Thursday, February 09, 2006

What? Eh? Say again, Mr Hynes?

Before we move on to todays posting-proper please allow me to append on the last two posts by drawing your attention to "We Are Sorry" . Please note, it is genuine. Thanks to the inapproriately named (in this case) Department of Hate for the link. And now, let's move on...


There is a gentleman who goes by the name of Arlington Hynes (aka Bogol; aka Ha Ha Ha) whose peculiar written dialect gives me such a fingernails-down-the-blackboard feeling that I can barely visit his site but once a week. Which is a shame because it's a very entertaining blog, and it is entirely my own problem if I cannot deal with his style. I recommend anyone unfamiliar with his garbled musings should check them out...

Anyway, my reason for mentioning him is that he has noted that "...the English language will be welcoming its millionth word some time this summer. Break out the party hats!" (quoted from the Language Log). Naturally, given his penchant for 're-inventing' the English language, Arlington is hoping that it's one of his...

I do not wish to cause any offence, dear fellow, but as your words are not, in the truest sense, 'new' I would like to suggest an alternative:-

glark n 1 the onomatopaeic sound of an individuals head being removed by a sharp object. 2 coarse used in a derisory manner to describe anonymous blog posters and / or their comments i.e. glarking ; glark off ; glarked

(if you have no idea what the hell I'm going on about you obviously have never bothered with Blunt Cogs - I suggest you go there and revise!)

Cheers m'dears!

Update! - Unfortunately, since concocting this post, I have discovered that this word is also already spoken for - check it out here.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At Thursday, February 09, 2006 9:49:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So it's onomatopoeic, is it? I thought it was just something they said, in the great cartoon tradition of aargh, aieee and dssqc.

 
At Friday, February 10, 2006 1:31:00 am, Blogger michael the tubthumper said...

i thought you were just making it up as well!

 
At Friday, February 10, 2006 6:55:00 am, Blogger sarah said...

i prefer the Blunt Cogs definition.

 
At Friday, February 10, 2006 8:09:00 am, Blogger Monstee said...

Me am with you Binty!
Me go to that guys blog and it drive me crazy. Me no can stand people who no talk good.

 
At Friday, February 10, 2006 9:22:00 am, Blogger SafeTinspector said...

He's posted a few knee slappers. And, as an American, I find the affected dialect charming.

 
At Friday, February 10, 2006 2:16:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Philip, it was Kims suggestion that it might be considered an onomatopaeic word. I personally do not know what someones head being lopped off sounds like!

Michael, they say there's nothing new under the sun....

Sarah, thanks. I never knew when I submitted that script that 'glark' would turn into such a popular word!

Monstee, words fail me....

Safety, I do love the guy! It's just that I have to take it in small doses at long intervals!

 
At Friday, February 10, 2006 6:29:00 pm, Blogger Kim Ayres said...

I've been to his site a couple of times but like you I can't handle it for long so avoid visiting. I assumed he was dyslexic and when he left a comment on the early Blunt Cogs site (in fact his only to date) slagging off the black background, it reinforced the idea because light writing on dark backgrounds is much harder to read anyway.

El B knew this when he set up his own site. It was nothing to do with trying to look cool in black, but because he knew it would piss people off. He just then used the same template when he set up Blunt Cogs

But it was that comment that led me to redesign the BC site so that it was more user friendly.

And I too much prefer your definition of glark. If enough of us use it enough of the time, eventually it wil become the dominant one. Who knows, maybe the OED will be adding it in a few years - now that would be funny!

 
At Saturday, February 11, 2006 10:23:00 am, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Hey! Maybe that could be my legacy? Something for kids to study in English Language lessons in future years - the origin of the word 'Glark'!

 
At Tuesday, February 14, 2006 3:28:00 pm, Blogger LindyK said...

Way to make linguistic history, Binty... I'm so proud!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home