Random Drivel from your Average Tosser

...with your host, Binty McShae - whether you like it or not!

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Irony, Schmirony!

Sitting in the boozer and a female friend (let's call her Flo, just for the hell of it) ambles in, plonks herself down on the stool next to me and then sighs loudly... I know I'm just asking for it, but...

"What's up, hen?"

Now, I'm not going to give you the full drawn out ramblings of what, indeed, was up - I like most of the people who read this blog too much to inflict that - so here is the edit...

"I met the love of my life. Turns out he's married. It's just like in that Alanis song, innit? Y'know, 'Ironic'"

Okay... red rag to a bull time. Ironic? Is it fuck! That's life, for fuck's sake! Of course I don't put it quite like that... instead I try to find out more about the situation, maybe to put Flo at ease. And the first thing I ask is "What is this wife like, exactly?"

"Oh, y'know... typical tall, slim beautiful blonde."

Now, I'm not a cruel man but I feel obliged to point out that this 'love of her life' being already married to a virtual supermodel, whilst obviously upsetting, hardly counts as 'ironic'. If this wife had been roughly 5'6", a little more curvacious, with short dark hair and a slighly wonky nose... now that might have been bordering on ironic purely by virtue of the wife then being a clone of Flo herself.

This observation doesn't go down incredibly well, so when Flo tells me the story of how 'dream-hubby' and his wife met at some event in Monte Carlo I opt for another approach...

Let's imagine for a second, going back say 4 years... a friend invites Flo to a dinner party where everyone will be in couples, but knowing Flo to be single she invites another gentleman to act as her blind date. This is a good friend, who manages to choose the perfect match for Flo, but unfortunately Flo (in the midst of her depression about being single) decides to drop out at the last minute. In desperation her friend, the host, calls up another girl to take her place... another girl with looks and interests very similar to Flo. The two strangers hit it off straight away and are married within a couple of years. Then, further down the line, Flo meets the 'love of her life'... who just happens to be the man she stood up four years ago and who has, in the meantime, married her doppelganger....

Now THAT's fucking ironic!

Flo chewed on this for a while before turning to me, her eyes curiously blazing.

"Do me a favour, Binty. Never take a job in Counselling."

Cheers m'dears!

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At Monday, July 10, 2006 3:39:00 am, Blogger sarah said...

i don't get her anger.. you were merely defining the word "ironic" for her..

some people..

:o)

 
At Monday, July 10, 2006 3:41:00 am, Blogger sarah said...

oh.. and i disagree, i think you'd make a great therapist.

 
At Monday, July 10, 2006 2:35:00 pm, Blogger Monstee said...

Me comment turned into posting.

 
At Monday, July 10, 2006 3:16:00 pm, Blogger Dr Joseph McCrumble said...

Isn't it ironic that everyone thinks they know what irony means, but in reality it has more definitions than there are bus routes in central Edinburgh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

 
At Monday, July 10, 2006 5:44:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Doc, what I hate most is when people say "duh, I was being ironic" when in truth what they were being was sarcastic. I don't have a problem with sarcasm per se (I use it often enough) but when people mistake it for irony it fair winds me up!

 
At Monday, July 10, 2006 6:47:00 pm, Blogger SafeTinspector said...

I ate so much spinach my blood was all irony.

 
At Tuesday, July 11, 2006 12:56:00 am, Blogger Foot Eater said...

I employ a lady for her ironic skills as well as her hooveric ones. (Not as good as SafeT's one.)

 
At Tuesday, July 11, 2006 4:00:00 pm, Blogger Dr Joseph McCrumble said...

groan (non ironically)

 
At Wednesday, July 12, 2006 4:10:00 pm, Blogger michael the tubthumper said...

i think you should get a job in counselling.

"belt UUUPPPP" therapy could be a winner

 
At Saturday, July 15, 2006 4:53:00 am, Blogger Purring said...

I'm amused. You done good 'ol chap!

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006 5:02:00 pm, Blogger fatmammycat said...

I hate when anybody says 'Duh' it makes me want to wop them one in the chops. Well done old bean! She will thank you for it in the future no dooubt.

 
At Wednesday, July 19, 2006 6:24:00 pm, Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Enjoying the Irony series on BC - thought I'd better see what kick started it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home