Random Drivel from your Average Tosser

...with your host, Binty McShae - whether you like it or not!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

It's my support and I'll apportion it as I see fit!

Okay, lets get this one thing straight. I can't be arsed with all that "I support anyone who plays against England" crap. I don't see a great amount of point to it, other than to piss off a few wankers that I know. But for fucks sake, no-one has a right to expect me to support England either. I am perfectly happy to just not give a shit.

These are the arguments I am usually given for why I should support England:

1) We're all British.

2) We support Scotland when they play.

3) You live in England. (Okay, I obviously don't get that anymore but I used to.)

4) Scotland don't have a hope of ever winning.

5) If you don't it must mean you're racist.

And here are my replies:

1) Yes, we are. But by that token would you expect Everton fans to support Liverpool? Man City fans to support Man Utd? And as for the Old Firm.....

2) That's great, I am sure it is much appreciated. That is, assuming you really mean "support". I recall two England fans giving me that one during France '98, and to be fair they did cheer Scotland on during the games. But come the fateful last group game where we crashed and burned who were the first in the queue to take the piss and taunt me for my beloved Scotland failing to make it through (again)... I'll give you one guess. That, my friends, is not support. I, on the other hand, do not give a fuck so I neither cheer nor jeer.

3) So, you're telling me that if you were living in Argentina or Germany you would support them in front of England? Thought not.

4) So, what happened to it not being about winning but taking part? Anyway, I am not seriously waiting for a trophy to be lifted (not that I'd object), I am simply praying for the day we make it into round 2 of any competition! And incidentally, I am utterly unconvinced that England will win again, at least not in my lifetime. So many other countries have improved so dramatically that I don't think England stand a chance. The English press seem to have this habit of whipping the supporters into a frenzy of expectation rather than a bond of hope, something which I find rather sad (and I would suggest contributes to certain "incidents" after losing matches).

5) No, it doesn't. Being abusive to the England team or their supporters (either physically or verbally) just because they are English would be racist (or technically "nationist" as "English" isn't actually a race), but simply not supporting them is not. Otherwise we would all be racist for not supporting all 32 nations involved in the cup.

So, there you go. Support who you will, it doesn't bother me. But do not presume to tell me who I should or should not cheer for...

...and, yes. I KNOW about 1966. Were you there? Because it was a few years before I was fucking born, and unless you have some first hand experience of the event that I haven't already heard will you please just fuck off.

Cheers m'dears!

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:07:00 am, Blogger Barefoot said...

Oh what a summer this would have been if Ireland had managed to qualify for the world cup. They didn't and the country is amicably divided in their support unlike four years ago when all hell broke loose (but we don't talk about that anymore). This afternoon I cheered for South Korea with my flat mate from Soeul and this evening I cheered for Brazil (they're very handsome young men you know). I'm feeling very generous with my support this world cup. I say share the love.

 
At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 12:26:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaaw! you're so cute when you rant.

 
At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 4:52:00 pm, Blogger fatmammycat said...

Folk getting on your case Binty? Screw them, you're right you should support who ya like.
Come one Spain!

 
At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 5:54:00 pm, Blogger Dr Maroon said...

It’s not an intellectual choice. It’s a reaction. I’ve had a week of Motson pedantically comment on every kick of the ball, every player, (whether they’d survive in the fucking unobtainable golden Valhalla of the English Premiership), what it means for England’s next game so on and so on.

Remember grumpy Archie McPherson and the superb Arthur (up go the heads) Montford? Their impartiality during Scotland matches used to drive me crazy, but listening to the shower on the BBC and ITV (slightly better) has changed me for life.

And before you go all Maroon’s a Little Scotlander on me, I was listening to Talksport radio (English, right wing Daily Mail hang and flog ) yesterday in the car, and they were very funny. They got the spirit of the thing perfectly. They were excited, jokey, laddish white-vanny England supporting, but without the up there own arseness that you normally get. So it is possible.

John Motson and Mark Lawrenson and Alan Hanson suck dead dogs cocks in Hell.

 
At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 6:02:00 pm, Blogger Dr Maroon said...

Here d'you notice the pundits are all 'sons? Maybe that's the problem.

 
At Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:26:00 am, Blogger michael the tubthumper said...

here are my answers to your 5 points...
1. Officially yes, but we don't all want to be...a fair percentage of scots want out.

2. We didn't ask you to.

3. i don't

4. thats not the point and it is just the sort of arrogant attitude that badly makes you want to lose

5. is it an act of prejudice for on oppressed person not to support his oppressor in anything else he might be doing

and as for 1966... it was 2-2. we all know that goal wasn't in and as for the last one "some people are on the pitch".... i believe the laws of the game are that if some people are on the pitch the game should be stopped and play restarted with a drop-ball after the pitch has been cleared.

 
At Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:27:00 am, Blogger michael the tubthumper said...

ooops, mistake...

number 4 should read...

just that sort of arrogant attitude that makes ME want You to lose badly

 
At Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:30:00 am, Blogger michael the tubthumper said...

also, here are some interesting facts about the difference between when england and scotland qualify...

FANS BEHAVIOUR

1990 ITALY

25,000 Scots fans spent a peaceful time in Italy with no-one being
arrested during their 2 week spell.

Engl*nd - Hundreds arrested and deported as fans smash up Bologna and
Rimini.

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS 1992 SWEDEN

Scotland Fans win the 'Best Supporters' award.

No-one arrested.

7 Scots got married.

Because of the excellent relationship built up between the Scotland and
Sweden supporters during and since EURO '92, the World Cup qualifying
match against Sweden in November 1996 sees the Swedish fans seated in
same stand as the main core of the Scotland support.

You dont see that much in Eng****.


Engl*nd - 1500 fans deported after riots in Malmo.

WORLD CUP 1994 USA

We didnae qualify. Fans greatly missed.


Neither did engl*nd. America remains intact.

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS 1996 ENG****

scotland get 2nd place in UEFA good behaviour supporters awards.

Fans praised by chief constable of Birmingham.


engl*nd - Trafalgar square - over 200 arrests, 40 cars smashed up, 7
houses damaged.

Bradford - 40 fans in pitched battle with police.

Hull - 11 arrests.

Basingstoke - 2 german tourists attacked and robbed.

Bedford - 300 hooligans on rampage.

Police attacked in swindon and other disturbances all over the South
East of England.

How thick must these idiots be to destroy their own country!

WORLD CUP 1998 FRANCE

Scotland - No arrests.

Best supporters award (again).


England - Widespread civil disturbances

Riots in Marseille result in a city wide curfew.

 
At Thursday, June 15, 2006 3:17:00 am, Blogger fatmammycat said...

Irish folk are very good fans too, mostly becasue we drink tons, sing and get all jiggy with the locals.

 
At Thursday, June 15, 2006 4:51:00 am, Blogger Dr Maroon said...

Waitaminute MTTT, I've been in Marseille, it's as rough as heather, I don't think we can pin that on them.

 
At Thursday, June 15, 2006 12:34:00 pm, Blogger SafeTinspector said...

*sigh* I hate this football shite. Not because I hate football--I've no opinion, really--but because I can't follow these conversations at all well.

 
At Friday, June 16, 2006 1:30:00 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I am with SafeT, but then, consider who I am, I am almost always on SafeT's side. I try and try to figure out why Europeans go on so about soccer. Tried to watch some of the current matches. Just did not hold my interest. Baseball, there's a real sport.---- Just kidding, could not care less about most team sports, unless it is the St. Louis Cardinals, but we rarely get them here. Tigers are not in the same league. :-)

 
At Friday, June 16, 2006 1:32:00 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

P.S. What is a tosser anyway, and can you be an above average one or below average one as well as an average one?

 
At Friday, June 16, 2006 6:18:00 pm, Blogger fatmammycat said...

A tosser, Sweet Sweet Lou, is another word for wanker, only less vulgar, but quite piercing when used with a curl to the lip.
Like-lip curl 'Did you touch my motor car you fakkking tosser?'
Mostly use by English folk.
Hope this helps.

 
At Friday, June 16, 2006 6:47:00 pm, Blogger SafeTinspector said...

Here I thought it was some sort of simile for masturbator.

 
At Sunday, June 18, 2006 1:30:00 am, Blogger fatmammycat said...

...and wanker is a simile for masturbator. The knee bone's connected to the thigh bone...

 
At Tuesday, June 20, 2006 7:10:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Too fucking lazy to reply to everyone, but welcome Sue Lou... and FMC, tosser is used north of the border too, not just in England. Not as often as wanker, granted...

'...the palm bone's connected to the pelvic bone(r)'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home