Random Drivel from your Average Tosser

...with your host, Binty McShae - whether you like it or not!

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Binty's Ulitimate Music Tosser Quiz

Over the last couple of days I have enjoyed racking my brains over at the Ill Man and Clairwil blogs where quotation and lyric quizzes have sprung up. Never being one to let a good bandwagon pass me by (and being generally too fucking lazy to come up with anything original) I am proud to present Binty's Ultimate Music Tosser Quiz!

Below are 30 quotes from different songs - the first 10 are all opening lines, the second 10 are closing lines, and the final 10 are plucked from somewhere in the middle of a song... this should make things progressively harder!

Post your guesses (song title and artist) in the comments, first to get each one will be credited accordingly - and the person with the most correct answers will be bestowed with the magnificent title "Binty's Ultimate Music Tosser 2006" - or BUM Tosser '06 for short.

Finally - and this should not need saying, but I will anyway - we all know how to use search engines. If you want to do so to satisfy your own curiosity, fine, but if you are 'googling' simply to look knowledgeable or to win a frankly meaningless quiz then you are nothing but a sad, shallow cunt!

Let battle commence...

Round 1 - Opening lines

1) Once I had a love and it was a gas...
(Heart of Glass by Blondie - solved by Flying Rodent / Kim Ayres)

2) Oh, she dressed in the dark and she whispered 'Amen'...
(Galway to Graceland by Richard Thompson - solved by Monstee / Ion)

3) Men reading fashion magazines; Oh what a world it seems we live in...
(Oh What a World by Rufus Wainwright - solved by Monstee / Gabs)

4) Paint my face in your magazines; Make it look whiter than it seems...
(Powerless (Say What You Want) by Nelly Furtado - solved by FMC)

5) People on the street now; Faces long and grim...
(How Come by Ray Lamontagne - remained unsolved)

6) I see the clouds that move across the sky; I see the wind that moves the clouds away...
(Don't Worry About The Government by Talking Heads - solved by Thirteenth Monkey)

7) Who gave you permission to rearrange me?
(Certainly by Erykah Badu - remained unsolved)

8) Rioja, rioja; Reverend Al Green; Deep blue morocco; The water on stone...
(Pearl's Girl by Underworld - solved by Flying Rodent / Rat)

9) We were at a party; His ear lobe fell in the deep...
(Rock Lobster by The B-52's - solved by Monstee)

10) We passed upon the stair; We spoke of was and when...
(The Man Who Sold the World by David Bowie - solved by Flying Rodent / Rat)

Round 2 - Closing Lines

11) ...My mind... My mind... 'Til I find somebody else.
(Blowers Daughter by Damien Rice - solved by Gabs)

12) ...and I'll stand over your grave 'til I'm sure that you're dead.
(Master's of War by Bob Dylan - solved by Clairwil)

13) ...You can't go home, the night is young; I'm blacking out but it's been fun.
(The Scene Is Dead by We Are Scientists - solved by Gabs)

14) ...Take it slow, oh-oh; This time we'll take it slow.
(Ordinary People by John Legend - remained unsolved)

15) ...Who's responsible? You fucking are! Who's responsible?
(Of Walking Abortion by The Manic Street Preachers - solved by Ill Man)

16) ...And we can't turn back; 'Cause it's too late, too late, too late, too late, too late.
(I Looked at You by The Doors - solved by Gabs / FMC's paramour)

17) ...Goin' out tonight, goin' out tonight; Baby, you and I, goin' out tonight.
(Living for the Weekend by Hard-Fi - remained unsolved)

18) ...Same old game, same old thing; Always rappin' 'bout the same old thing.
(Funkier than a Mosquito's Tweeter by Nina Simone - solved by FMC and her sis!)

19) ...Creation baby has failed again; Creation baby has failed again.
(This Wicked Tongue by P J Harvey - solved by Clairwil)

20) ...Wherever men are fightin' for their rights; That's where I'm gonna be, Ma; That's where I'm a gonna be.
(Tom Joad by Woody Guthrie - solved by Annie's fiance)

Round 3 - Randomly plucked lines

21) ...Butterflies and zebras; And moonbeams and fairy tales...
(Little Wing by Jimi Hendrix - solved by Ion)

22) ...You work in a shirt with your name tag on it; Drifting apart like a plate tectonic...
(Oh My God by The Kaiser Chiefs - solved by Flying Rodent)

23) ...Water is my eye; Most faithful mirror...
(Teardrop by Massive Attack - solved by Tubthumper)

24) ...I wanna speak louder than Ritalin; For all the children who think that they've got a disease...
(Oxygen by Willie Mason - solved by FMC / Gabs)

25) ...Kiss me, please kiss me; Kiss me out of desire, baby, not consolation...
(Last Goodbye by Jeff Buckley - solved by FMC)

26) ...I know you like to think your shit don't stink; But lean a little bit closer...
(Roses by Outkast - solved by FMC)

27) ...Love forever, love is free; Let's turn forever, you and me...
(Feelgood Inc. by Gorillaz- solved by Flying Rodent / FMC)

28) ...You're a slut, you're a bitch, you're a whore...
(Blue Flashing Light by Travis - remained unsolved)

29) ...Majordomo Billy Bojangles; Sit down and have a drink with me...
(Alabama Getaway by The Grateful Dead - solved by Monstee)

30) ...Or that everybody's on the stage; And it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience...
(Skating Away by Jethro Tull - solved by Annie)

[Final Scores: 1st place - FMC (et al) with 11 points ; 2nd place - Gabs on 7 ; Joint 3rd place - Flying rodent and Monstee, both on 6... well done to you all! Honourable mentions for bothering to take part go to: Clairwil and Annie (and fiance), both on 4 points; Ion with 3 ; Ill Man, Rat, Tubthumper and Thirteenth Monkey, all on 2 ; and last but by no means least, Kim Ayres with 1 - the remaining 10 points went unclaimed.]


Cheers m'dears!

Labels: ,

43 Comments:

At Thursday, September 28, 2006 3:28:00 pm, Blogger flyingrodent said...

First up?

1) Heart of glass
8) Pearl's Girl
10) The man who sold the world
22) Oh my god
27) Feelgood Inc.

I always thought that I was good at this kind of thing, but 5 out of 30 says otherwise.

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 3:32:00 pm, Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Of course I know the answer to all of them, I'm just not sure I want BUM Tosser plastered over my blogsite...


No, truth is, while I do know the first one, that was the only one I knew.

While you've never mentioned your age, I'm fairly sure you're probably within 5 or 6 years of me, so the chances are I should know most of the songs you've quoted from.

What this reveals is that I never listen to the words of songs so I'll always be crap at these kinds of quizzes.

Now, if you were to play opening notes instead...

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 3:52:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Rodent, those are all correct - especially impressed you got number 8 as the vocals are quite distorted on that one. But please, tell me who each one was by to receive your due credit!

Kim, within 5 or 6 years of you, eh...? Well, the only previous guess to my age has been Footeater, who once stated that I must be in my mid-twenties. Does that all tie in? As for the music, it pretty much covers the last 40 years, with a couple of smack-bang-up-to-date numbers and a couple that are much, much older. I have an eclectic taste...

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 3:57:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Oh, and honestly Kim... I thought you out of anyone might have got number 2. If it helps, the opening notes are "dum-dum-diddy-doo-doooooo"

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 4:52:00 pm, Blogger fatmammycat said...

24 Oxygen-can't remember who sings it.
Good Old Jeff Buckly on 25. 'Did you rush to call, did a voice call out in the back of your mind...
26 -outkast Roses.
27 Gorillaz. Windmill, or wahtever it's caled.
Gotta run.

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 5:03:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

FMC - give me the artist on 24 and the track name on 25 and you get the credit...

26 is spot on...

27, correct artist - for the track title see flyingrodents 1st comment.

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 7:18:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

15 is 'Of Walking Abortion' by The manic Street Preachers.

There, slightly better than I did over at Clairwil. I now realise my quiz was far too easy.

Theres still a couple of strays left if anyone wants to snap them up.

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 8:58:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Ill Man, you are spot on. One of my favourite tracks, that!

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:00:00 pm, Blogger fatmammycat said...

Lsst good bye. Can't remember who sang Oxygen

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:02:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

FMC - we cross in the ether! You are, of course, quite correct with Last Goodbye!

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:05:00 pm, Blogger fatmammycat said...

I think 18 is Nina Simone, but I can't remember the name of the song. I'll ask Etheline, she'll know. Get back to ya.

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:06:00 pm, Blogger fatmammycat said...

Ohh ohh and 4 is Nelly Furtado,'Coz this life is too short to live it just for us, ...Powerless!

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:19:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

No. 4 - spot on again... as for Nina Simone... bloody hell, I expected that one to take a lot longer. Go on then, impress me with the song title (one of the best titles EVER!)

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:24:00 pm, Blogger fatmammycat said...

Arrghgghhghhg! Etheline answer the blasted phone!!!

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:33:00 pm, Blogger fatmammycat said...

Funkier than a mosquito's tweeter!!!!!
Now I've got to get back to work, I've been dossing it big time today.

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:36:00 pm, Blogger Clairwil said...

12. Bob Dylan Masters of War
19. PJ Harvey This Wicked Tongue

 
At Friday, September 29, 2006 2:25:00 am, Blogger Binty McShae said...

FMC!!!!! Excellent stuff! Ain't that just THE best song title ever!?

Clairwil - bravo, full marks for those two!

 
At Friday, September 29, 2006 5:40:00 am, Blogger fatmammycat said...

I can't really take full credit for it, my preppy brat of a sister is a big Nina fan and she knows all the titles. And you're right, it is the best title.
Night Binty, sleep well.

 
At Friday, September 29, 2006 5:44:00 am, Blogger fatmammycat said...

Oh, and the paramour reckons 16 is The Doors, but I'm stumped so if he's right he's right, and nowt to do with me.
Night again!

 
At Friday, September 29, 2006 9:37:00 am, Blogger SafeTinspector said...

14: You're Every Woman in the World (to me) by Air Supply?

 
At Friday, September 29, 2006 1:27:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you can't hold on...

if you can't hold on..

hold on...

 
At Friday, September 29, 2006 3:17:00 pm, Blogger ion said...

#2: Richard Thompson
#21: Jimi Hendrix Experience, Little Wing

 
At Friday, September 29, 2006 4:20:00 pm, Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Number 1 was Blondie.

I'm afraid Richard Thomson isn't really up my street, although my wife listens to him a lot.

 
At Friday, September 29, 2006 11:33:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

#30. Warchild by Jethro Tull.

 
At Friday, September 29, 2006 11:43:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duh, sorry, Skating Away or something which is on Warchild.

 
At Saturday, September 30, 2006 5:42:00 am, Blogger Monstee said...

2. From Galway To Graceland - ???
3. Oh what a world - ???
9. Rock Lobster - B52's
12. Masters of War - Bob Dylan
16. ??? = Doors
19. This Wicked toungue - Pj Harvey
21. Little Wing - Hendrix/Def Lepard/Sting
29. Alabama Getaway - Grateful Dead

Me think that Binty am older, but have fresh young mind!

 
At Sunday, October 01, 2006 1:10:00 am, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Over halfway there...

Every correct answer has now been credited... BUT!

Evil Genius, I disagree... Monstee gets that one correct but I will check into your answer, in case of shared lyrics!

SafeT - again, not what I have down... I'll look into it!

 
At Sunday, October 01, 2006 4:12:00 pm, Blogger Dr Maroon said...

Ooh Ooh I love a quiz me.

I know number 5 but can't think.

is 28 alana morriset or the other one, sheryl crow?

I'd a got 30. Good old Tull.

can you identify the band that sang the song above?

Shame on you if you can't Mr Binty McShae from Scotland.

 
At Sunday, October 01, 2006 7:12:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, of course!

Number 5 is a good song, but may take a while. 28 on the other hand... Morrisette and Crow may fit the descriptions (sue me if you dare!) but they didn't write the lyrics...

Tull... great band, great song!

 
At Sunday, October 01, 2006 7:20:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Scores so far (1 point for artist, 1 point for title)...

11 points - FMC (with help from sis and paramour)

6 points - Monstee

5 points - Flying Rodent

4 points - Clarwil

3 points - Ion

2 points - Ill Man

2 points - Annie

1 point - Kim Ayres

26 points left up for grabs... closing date for this competition, Tuesday 10th October.

Consult your friends / colleagues / lovers... FMC did and she's in the lead!

 
At Monday, October 02, 2006 6:06:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Q8 - Underworld
Q10 - David Bowie

 
At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 5:15:00 am, Blogger flyingrodent said...

Looks like rat has beat me to the points that should've been mine, dammit. That's what I get for going on holiday - all that's left that I know is Oh My God by the Kaiser Chiefs.

I think I deserve the point for Pearl's Girl, just because it's such a great song.

 
At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 8:24:00 am, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Rat, you are correct, as is flying rodent. Don't worry FR, it's one point for title and one point for artist!

 
At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 1:32:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

october 10th.. so you're using this post as an excuse not to post anything else.

why the hell didn't i think of something like that?

 
At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 5:26:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3 was by rufus wainwright, 11 is bloody blowers daughter by damien rice, 13 is the scene is dead by we are scientists, 16 is i looked at you by the doors, 24 is by willie mason (not nelson).

 
At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 8:07:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

#20 Woodie Guthrie? (Courtesy of my fiance.)

 
At Wednesday, October 04, 2006 8:31:00 am, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Gabs, spot on...

Annie, well done - you got a song title?

 
At Thursday, October 05, 2006 1:59:00 am, Blogger michael the tubthumper said...

23 = massive attack teardrop

 
At Thursday, October 05, 2006 8:50:00 am, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Correct!

 
At Friday, October 06, 2006 8:12:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After much haranguing of the poor man he's finally come up with Tom Joad for #20. Was it worth the effort??

 
At Friday, October 06, 2006 12:00:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

It was, indeed! Well done!!

 
At Monday, October 09, 2006 6:52:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Number 6 = 'Don't worry about the government' by Talking Heads.

With best wishes from your 200th comment nemesis!

 
At Tuesday, October 10, 2006 10:04:00 am, Blogger Binty McShae said...

13th - spot on! And no worries... just get me 200 comments on one of my posts!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home