Random Drivel from your Average Tosser

...with your host, Binty McShae - whether you like it or not!

Sunday, September 03, 2006

That ol' Red Carpet again...

I've been so up to my ears in work and moving house the last couple of weeks that I haven't really read any other blogs, let alone update on this one. So I was pleasantly surprised whilst trawling through the back pages of the Ill Man site to discover that I have been nominated for an award - for 'Young Blogger of the Year'. Cheers, IM, the sentiment is very much appreciated. I am not doing very well, however, currently joint last with 3 votes. Unsurprising perhaps as my recent output has been sporadic and varying in quality, but the fact that there are those of you out there that contiue to check out this site - and I note I received two new links from other sites in the last fortnight as well - makes it all worthwhile.

Ill Man - I still haven't linked to you yet because I am a bone idle bastard, but I promise... it's coming! Anyone who wants to vote for me, it's here.

Speaking of awards, another kind-of-nice surprise this week was receiving an award at the school I work at. Well, two in fact. This week we had "Teacher's Day", the one day of the year where even the shittiest kids are really nice and respectful to you, even to the point of buying you presents and stuff. The 'informal' award I received was a shock in itself... the kids voted me 'Trendiest Male Teacher'. Now, believe me when I say that one thing I am not is trendy. But I suppose that since I am the only teacher who on dress-down Friday's doesn't tuck his t-shirt into his high-waisted trousers I was possibly the only available option. On a more formal note, at the compulsory (*groan*) evening meal for staff I was presented with an award for outstanding achievement at my school, which was nice, but... well, call me a cynic but I think my carefully planted rumours about leaving for another establishment may have found their target. Screw the award, I was after some better equipment and maybe even a small pay rise!

In truth that's probably quite an unfair assesment of my bosses, but regardless of how or why I 'won' my award I find that I am uncomfortable with it as I feel that I was only doing my job. The reasons stipulated on the award are the artistic events I have co-ordinated over the last 8 months, but then again they were the very things that I was employed to do. Okay, so they naturally often involve long hours and unpaid overtime, but to balance that out I also have the luxury of very short days with little homework to mark at other times of the year. There are others in my school who teach hugely complicated academic subjects and still dedicate themselves to extra-curricular activities as well, some of whom helped me out a great deal (and I couldn't have put on these events without them). It is they who deserve such recognition.

But then again, this is always a problem... we celebrate those that do flashy things, not those who sacrifice their own lives for others. Was mine really an award for Outstanding Achievement, or just for managing to Achieve Standing Out? And what about on a global scale...? The Oscars and their ilk? Fuck 'em! Where are the awards for the nurses, lifeguards, firemen... They are the people who truly deserve the standing ovations. Because what is more of an outstanding achievement than putting your own life on hold, or even at risk, to save a complete stranger?

Cheers m'dears!

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

At Sunday, September 03, 2006 9:33:00 pm, Blogger iLL Man said...

Cheers Binty. Hope you found something of interest in me back pages. I almost never do myself.........=D

 
At Tuesday, September 05, 2006 2:20:00 am, Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Surely the award for artistic events means that they've discovered Blunt Cogs and appreciated your input.

Have they sanctioned the purchase of Photoshop yet?

 
At Tuesday, September 05, 2006 2:37:00 am, Blogger sarah said...

oh my god.. could you bitch about getting an award just a little more??

:o) i agree, you didn't deserve that award.

(holy crap McShae, mmmmwah!)

 
At Tuesday, September 05, 2006 2:41:00 am, Blogger Foot Eater said...

Sarah's right. Your bosses were obviously being ironic.

For God's sake pull yourself together, man, and accept that you've done well.

Anyway, some rather unpleasant things may or may not be lined up for you in the noir story on my blog, so enjoy pleasant things while you can.

 
At Tuesday, September 05, 2006 6:04:00 am, Blogger iLL Man said...

Binty, it means someone appreciates you, even if the grounds for such recognition look a tad spurious. It's obvious your employers and pupils like you.

I know exactly where you're coming from, but really, don't sweat it....

Cheers!

 
At Tuesday, September 05, 2006 2:45:00 pm, Blogger Monstee said...

Me know how you feel Binty. It never feel good get award that you no feel you deserve.

Once me won Academy Award for best supporting actor. Later me had to point out me was never even in film that year and had to give it up to Walter Brennan.

Still, me would tell you to do what me did and look on bright side. For me it was just fun meeting Bette Davis and Spencer Tracy at after party. ...plus me totaly got some from Fay Bainter.

 
At Wednesday, September 06, 2006 3:05:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Ill Man, I really enjoy your site. I like all the photography, especially on the occassion that somewhere I know crops up.

Kim, if they read blunt cogs (or worse, this blog) I would undoubtedly get the sack! As for Photoshop... the saga continues!

Sarah, I just hate the bullshit of it all. Whether I deserve recognition or not there are many in my school who deserve it more. And to be honest, I could have spent the money better on some new fucking scripts and textbooks for the library!

Footsie, just saying 'well done' is enough for me. Actually, saying 'well done, let's double your budget' would be nicer.

Monstee, just..... oh, I don't know!

Anyway, all of you - the more important bit (in my mind) was about the glitzy awards bollocks like the Oscars and BAFTAs and all that shit. What a bunch of big-time arse!

 
At Wednesday, September 06, 2006 3:18:00 pm, Blogger sarah said...

oh.. i get what you're saying. believe me.

 
At Wednesday, September 06, 2006 7:47:00 pm, Blogger SafeTinspector said...

Where's your self-serving egotism? Damn, man, how do you expect to garner the adulation of others and the sexual attentions of those whom you find attractive if you don't grab the bull by the horns, pay a taxidermist to stuff him and sell him on ebay?


Binty, binty, binty. Do they even have Belgian Waffles in the Denny's of Singapore?

 
At Thursday, September 07, 2006 3:59:00 am, Blogger iLL Man said...

Cheers Binty.

Ah yes, the pictures. They do break up my witless swearing somewhat.......

 
At Friday, September 08, 2006 5:41:00 pm, Blogger Binty McShae said...

Sarah - I would never not!

SafeT - what the fuck is a Denny's?

Ill Man - you do swearing? My god, I never even noticed - I've obviously become immune!

 
At Sunday, September 10, 2006 6:50:00 am, Blogger SafeTinspector said...

Denny's is a family-style restaurant chain common in the United States.
They are famous for being open 24 hours, therefore being used as a pitstop for hungry drunkards after last-call.

They are also famous for marginal quality and for serving breakfast at any time to anyone with the money to purchase it.

Like a down-scale IHoP, although IHoP is itself considered a bit on the seedy side.

Would you like a link to my detailed explanation of American "Family-Style" restaurants? Here: on the nature of family restaurant seating

 
At Sunday, September 10, 2006 12:32:00 pm, Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Not knowing your occupation I had always wondered. I would have never imagined you molding young minds. There is something terribly ironic in all of this particularly the award part.

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 1:27:00 am, Blogger Kim Ayres said...

But if the kids you teach ever found out about Blunt Cogs, you'd be hailed as a hero (just before being beaten to a pulp by their parents)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home